This is a great way to turn sausages and pasta into a perfect and delicious one-bowl meal.
Most of the ingredients here are pantry staples. Here’s a tip for you: if you don’t have fresh herbs on-hand but happen to have everything else, go ahead and use some dried oregano and dried parsley instead. A few teaspoons of each added to the sauce while it’s cooking will provide a lovely Mediterranean flavour to this sauce for your sausage pasta dinner.
- 4 sausages
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 red bell pepper
- 796-mL can fire-roasted diced tomatoes or diced tomatoes
- 3 cups fusilli, rigatoni or ziti pasta
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil, or cilantro
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mint
- Grated Parmesan cheese to taste
- Squeeze sausage meat from casings into a bowl and set aside. You may need to trim the end of the sausage to get the meat out. Discard casings.
- Heat oil in a large wide saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and salt. Using a fork, break up meat while stirring frequently to keep meat crumbly. Cook until meat is no longer pink, from 5 to 6 minutes.
- Core and seed pepper. Slice into strips. Add peppers and tomatoes into pan. Increase heat to high. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions, about 8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and drain pasta. Return pasta to pot and then stir in the sausage mixture. Stir in chopped herbs. Remove from heat.
- Spoon pasta into bowls for serving and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Makes 4 to 6 servings.