Feeling the chill? This hearty beef & vegetable stew will warm you right up! Big chunks of West Side Beef slow simmered in a rich beef stock, with Pelee Winery Eco Red & loads of veggies, this is perfect for these freezing temps.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb Westside stewing beef, cut into cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 3 garlic, minced
- 2 celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups West Side Beef stock
- 1 1/2 cups Pelee Island ECO Red
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp thyme dried
- 1 large leek, chopped
- Heat 1 tbsp oil, meanwhile, pat beef dry with paper towels, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Brown beef aggressively in 2 or 3 batches, adding more oil if needed. Remove browned beef into a bowl. If the pot looks dry, add a touch more oil.
- Add garlic and onion, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add carrot, mushrooms and celery, cook for 2 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Stir in flour, then slowly pour in beef broth while constantly stirring.
- Add wine, water, tomato paste, bay leaves and thyme, stir well. Then add the beef back in.
- Cover, adjust heat to medium-low so it’s bubbling gently. Simmer 1 hr 30 min (trust us it’s worth it!).
- Add leeks, simmer for a further 20 minutes without the lid.
- Ladle into bowls & enjoy!