There is comfort food, and then there is chili. Chili is the perfect appetizer, side dish, picnic meal, left over, left left over and late night left over.
Try our recipe below, and let’s compare notes. What would you add to make it even better? Is that even possible? Thanks to the presence of beans, we stretch the nutritious capabilities of this crowd pleaser. We are able to stretch it further and feed those last minute guests you didn’t know would be coming over or the midnight snack you didn’t know you wanted. Serve it over rice, on nachos, with old bread, or solo. But serve it, and eat it. Enjoy!
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 10 button mushrooms, quartered
- 15 ml WSB beef fat
- 10g garlic, chopped
- 1.1kg tomato, crushed (canned San Marzanos work best)
- 50ml tomato paste
- 20g cornmeal
- 200ml beef stock
- 20g chili powder
- 5g cumin
- 3g cinnamon
- 3g chili flake
- Saute the onion, mushroom and peppers until tender. Add garlic and tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the beef and brown, making sure not to burn it, stir occasionally. Drain of the excess fat.
- Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 1.5 hours or until the meat is tender. Stir occasionally, making sure not to scorch the bottom.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Adjust consistency, add more stock if chili is too thick or simmer longer to thicken if it is too thin.